Cancer screening investigations
To establish the diagnosis of cancer at children it will be necessary to perform several types of investigations. Some of them will require more special training. Most of children have a fear of various investigations, even if they are not painful, that`s why we need to be there and encourage them.
In this article you will be able to find out more on the following:
General blood analysis by finger prick and / or vein (Hemoleukogram)
This complex analysis will provide information on the following parameters: leukocyte count, erythrocyte count, platelet count and platelet index, hemoglobin concentration, hematocrit, erythrocyte index.
The hemogram is a basic screening test, being one of the most frequently requested laboratory tests. The analysis of hematological parameters brings valuable information that helps the doctor to detect certain dysfunctions in the life cycle of blood cells, acute infections, chronic or allergies and to suggest the necessary set of additional tests.
Spinal cord puncture
It is a very important method for diagnosing acute leukemias and the spread of other cancers. This procedure is performed with a special needle with which the bone marrow will be extracted, which will be examined in the laboratory.
It is a method of diagnosis that is performed with a fine needle between the vertebrae of the spine, which extracts a small amount of cerebrospinal fluid to determine if the central nervous system is affected or not, it will be determined if the cancer cells get entered this level.
Biopsy and histopathological examination
This is a mandatory diagnostic method, which is performed to determine the type of tumor. The investigation is performed by surgery with the extraction of a tumor fragment or whole the tumor, after will follow microscopic laboratory examination of the fragments of organs or tissues.
Imaging investigations are performed in order to examine the child's internal organs:
Radiography is a painless procedure and is performed to determine the condition of some organs and the spread of the specific process. For example, it will determinate if the mediastinal lymph nodes are enlarged, if there is a pneumonia, pleurisy, etc. Radiography of the bones is performed to determine a potential bone defect.
Computed tomography (CT) or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
These investigations will determine the affected area and tumor size at different levels of the child's body.
- In some cases it may be necessary to administer an intravenous substance (contrast agent) that provides a clearer view of the affected areas. This substance is eliminated from the body by urination within a few days.
- Often this procedure is performed on an empty stomach (the child should not be fed on that day), and young children will perform the given investigation under the influence of general anesthesia.
- This investigation takes from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the area to be examined.
It is a painless procedure that is performed to assess the condition of internal organs.
This procedure checks the electrical activity of the heart, determines the frequency and rhythm of the heart.
This is a painless procedure, provides immediate results and does not require special training. It helps to determine the size of the heart, identify the presence or absence of birth defects, the condition of the heart chambers, valve function, other parameters.
- August 14, 2023În fiecare an devenim tot mai mulți! Mai mulți oameni cu suflet mare, care sunt gata să susțină activitatea Asociației …
- June 12, 2023Crearea condițiilor mai bune pentru tratamentul copiilor bolnavi de cancer este una din preocupările de bază ale Asociației noastre. Alături…